Chicken Saute with Rice and Peas
A little reduced fat peanut butter imparts tremendous flavor to this dish without adding lots of calories and fat. The rice contributes additional B vitamins; peas provide folate
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups cooked instant white or brown rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Saute chicken in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, about 3-5 minutes (or grill or broil it). Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, combine broth, peanut butter and soy sauce. Simmer 2 minutes, until hot, stirring with a wire whisk (or you can microwave on high for 1 minute). Cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat and stir in peas. If desired, season with salt and pepper. Serve chicken strips with peanut sauce, rice mixture on the side.
Per serving: 617 kcal cal., 27 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 52 g carb., 7 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 46 g pro., 49 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet