Chicken with Black Bean & Mango Salsa
- 1 cup finely minced red onion
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups diced ripe mango
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, canned or cooked
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper and cayenne to taste
- 4 6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Poultry seasoning to taste, optional
- Olive oil (enough to coat the pan)
- Place onion in a colander or strainer and douse with the boiling water. Refresh with cold water and drain. Transfer the onion to a bowl. Add the mango, black beans, bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and salt; mix gently. Season to taste with black pepper and cayenne. Chill for 1 hour or overnight to blend flavors.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, and sprinkle it lightly on both sides with salt, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning. Heat a heavy- bottomed saute or frying pan over medium-high for about 3 minutes and add olive oil. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan immediately and serve with the salsa.
- If ripe mangoes aren't available, use frozen ones, but defrost them first.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to coat the pan.
Per serving: 373 kcal cal., 8 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 32 g carb., 8 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 42 g pro., 47 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet