Chilled English Pea Soup
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups English Peas, reserve 1/4 cup for garnish
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- In medium pot, melt butter and sweat onions until translucent. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the peas and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until peas or tender. Season with a little more salt and pepper.
- Puree mixture in blender until smooth. Add the cream and mint. Puree. Strain and chill.
- Garnish with reserved cooked peas tossed in lemon oil and lemon zest. Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 232 kcal cal., 13 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 816 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 11 g pro., 142 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet