Chimichurri Seitan Vegetable Skewers
Seitan is a wheat gluten meat substitute that is available in many supermarkets and natural food stores in the refrigerated section. An herbal, tangy chimichurri sauce makes these skewers a show-stopping entree for your next backyard barbecue.
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup packed parsley leaves
- 2 medium lemons, juiced
- 2 small limes, juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 container (8 ounces) plain seitan, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced in wedges
- 1 small summer squash, sliced thickly
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced thickly
For the chimichurri:
- Place garlic, cilantro, and parsley in the container of a food processor. Process just until finely chopped (but not liquefied). Place in a small mixing bowl.
- Add lemon and lime juice, oil, and agave nectar, combining well.
For the kebabs:
- Prepare 4 skewers on metal or wooden skewers, using slices of seitan, onions, squash, and pepper.
- Place skewers in a large, shallow dish. Pour marinade over skewers and chill for one hour.
- Heat grill and cook skewers about 8 to 10 minutes on each side, until vegetables are crisp tender.
- *May also roast skewers in the oven by broiling for 30 minutes (15 minutes on each side) at 400 degrees F.
- Recipe provided by Sharon Palmer.
Per serving: 189 kcal cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 22 g carb., 6 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 17 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet