Cinnamon Sweet Potato Truffles
Not only for pies, sweet potatoes caramelize when baked long enough, lending a creamy natural sweetness to typically high-fat dessert.
- 1 large or 3 small sweet potatoes
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Goji berries, for garnish (optional)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Raw cocoa powder, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes for 30 to 40 minutes, continually checking by sticking a knife in the middle. Remove potatoes from oven when very soft and natural sugars have started to caramelize on the outside. Allow to cool at room temperature about 30 minutes.
- Place potato flesh and remaining ingredients except garnishes in a food processor. Process until is smooth and well combined, similar to a dough. Divide mixture into sixths and divide each sixth into four pieces so you have 24 pieces. Roll each into a ball in the palm of your hand. Chill in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes until cool.
- Roll each truffle in garnishes as desired.
- Recipe provided by McKel Hill, R.D., of NutritionStripped.com
Per serving: 72 kcal cal., 3 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 15 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 2 g pro., 21 mg calcium, 0 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet