Sink your teeth into this gooey version of meat lasagna. It's rich and flavorful, good enough to be called a classic.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped uncooked onions
- 1 cup finely chopped uncooked carrots
- 1 cup chopped uncooked celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound uncooked 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup red wine, dry variety
- 56 ounces canned crushed tomatoes, Italian plum variety
- 3 tablespoons canned tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh, chopped basil
- 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf, chopped fresh parsley
- 13 1/4 ounces uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- To make sauce, heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add beef; cook until browned, breaking up clumps of meat with a spoon as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine; cook, stirring once or twice, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes; stir in basil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. To make filling, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- To assemble lasagna, in bottom of a 13- X 9-inch baking dish, spread 2 cups of meat sauce; layer 4 noodles over top, overlapping slightly to fit. Spoon about 2 1/4 cups meat sauce over noodles; top with 1/2 cup ricotta mixture and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat layering with remaining noodles, meat sauce and ricotta mixture, reserving 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and bake until cheese melts and is lightly browned, about 5 minutes more; remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 353 kcal cal., 13 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 711 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 27 g pro., 12 mg calcium, 0 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet