- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 2 - 3 tablespoons julienned leek
- 2 - 3 tablespoons diced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons fresh corn kernels
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 2 1/3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1 bunch basil, tied in a cheesecloth sachet
- 1 Asian pear, diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- Watercress, for garnish
- Red chiles, thinly sliced, for garnish
- In a medium soup pot over medium heat, saute onion, celery, leek, garlic, carrot, and corn in butter. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until softened but not yet browned.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, coconut cream, and basil to pot. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove basil. Using an immersion blender (or a blender, with carefully transferred batches), puree soup until smooth. Transfer to a heat-safe container and chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- Toss pear with lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide soup among four bowls and add pear. Garnish with watercress and chiles.
- Created by Daven Wardynski, executive chef of Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort in Fernandina Beach, Florida
Per serving: 430 kcal cal., 30 g fat (22.2 g sat. fat), 40 g carb., 4 g fiber, 4 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet