Coconut Quinoa and Cherry Compote with Toasted Almonds
This dairy-free, gluten-free layered masterpiece is an incredibly tasty and healthy breakfast to take with you on busy mornings.
For coconut quinoa:
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 16 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 pinch salt
For cherry compote:
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded, toasted coconut
- To make coconut quinoa, place quinoa and almond milk in a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Cook until milk has dissolved. Add coconut milk 4 ounces at a time, stirring gently until liquid evaporates. Add salt. (Do not let milk absorb completely. Leave a little so that it is nice and creamy.) Once you have achieved desired consistency, remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
- To make cherry compote, place cherries in a medium frying pan with water, salt, and cardamom. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until cherries have released their juices and sauce starts to thicken. When sauce has a thick consistency, add maple syrup and stir. Cook for another 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Toast almonds in a small frying pan over low heat until they just start to brown. Remove from heat.
- To assemble in a 16-ounce mason jar (or two 8-ounce jars), layer in this order: coconut quinoa, cherry compote, toasted almonds, shredded coconut. Continue until you reach the top of the jar. Enjoy warm, or store with a lid in an airtight container for several days in the refrigerator. Reheat if you like, or it is also great cold.
- Recipe provided by Jodi of What's Cooking Good Looking
Per serving: 494 kcal cal., 23 g fat (18 g sat. fat), 67 g carb., 9 g fiber, 11 g pro., 141 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet