Corn Potato Chowder
Great as a side dish or a full meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 4 cups water
- 2 - 3 small red or white potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 3 cups frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, and salt (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until onion and celery begin to soften. Add water and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Partially cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are completely soft. Add corn and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in milk and heat very gently for 1 minute more. Season with pepper, ladle into bowls, top with chives or parsley, and serve.
Per serving: 161 kcal cal., 6 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 27 g carb., 3 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 4 g pro., 40 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet