Cream of Broccoli Soup
Most "creamed" soups are prepared with heavy cream and cheese, causing calories to soar. To lighten things up, Bauer traded the cream for cannellini beans -- you'll get the same velvety texture but with an added nutritional boost...all for just 85 calories. With a calorie count that low, you can go ahead and enjoy a second helping!
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans (white beans), rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Liberally coat a large pot with nonstick oil spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for about 10 minutes, until soft and slightly browned.
- Add broth, broccoli and beans to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree mixture into a creamy consistency. (Alternatively, you can transfer mixture to a traditional blender and puree). Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and enjoy. For a rich and creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup, top each bowl with 2 tablespoons shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese and blend. (Adds 40 calories)
- Recipe courtesy of Joy Bauer, M.S., R.D.N., C.D.N author of From Junk Food To Joy Food: All the Foods You Love to Eat...Only Better
Per serving: 85 kcal cal.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet