Creamy Cilantro Bean Casserole
Calorie-friendly ingredients like low-fat cottage cheese, nonfat Greek yogurt, and vegetable broth help keep this casserole creamy. Plus, the two cans of beans amp up the fiber in this meatless, one-dish meal.
- 1 cup dried wild rice
- 5 chopped green onions (white and green)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 pint 1% cottage cheese
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans your choice of beans (kidney, black, red, garbanzo), rinsed and drained (3 1/5 cups if using home cooked beans)
- Cook wild rice according to package directions. (Likely 4 cups of water to 1 cup rice for 40 minutes.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat butter in small saute pan over medium heat. Add green onions and cook for a couple minutes until fragrant. Set aside.
- In medium bowl add cottage cheese, yogurt, cilantro, garlic, Worcestershire and hot sauce, salt, pepper, broth, and sauteed green onions. Stir.
- Add cooked rice, stir together and set aside.
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking oil. Spread half of rice mixture evenly on bottom of 13x 9 baking dish. Layer in all beans. Top with remaining rice mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes until edges are a bit browned. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Recipe provided by Jessa Nowak, R.D, co-founder of In Wealth and Health
Per serving: 234 kcal cal., 2 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 35 g carb., 8 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 19 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet