Creamy Miso-Carrot Soup
- 3 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white miso paste, whisked into 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 quart water, plus 1/2 quart for blending
- 1 lime, zested and cut into wedges
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- In a large pot, saute scallions and garlic in coconut oil over medium- high heat until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, turmeric, ginger, a pinch of black pepper, and miso to pot and stir to combine. Add 1 quart water and lime zest. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until carrots are very soft, about 25 minutes.
- Add cayenne, a pinch of black pepper, and cashews to pot. Using an immersion blender (or a blender, with carefully transferred batches), puree soup until smooth, streaming in remaining 1/2 quart water as you blend to achieve a velvety smooth consistency.
- Divide among four bowls and let chill, uncovered, in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. Before serving, garnish with scallions and lime wedges.
- Created by Nicole Centeno, founder of Splendid Spoon, a soup-cleanse company
Per serving: 200 kcal cal., 7 g fat (3.5 g sat. fat), 32 g carb., 9 g fiber, 5 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet