Creamy Tomato Soup and Mini Grilled Cheese Bites
You'll have this incredibly creamy (thanks to nonfat yogurt!), velvety-smooth tomato soup ready to serve in 30 minutes, start to finish. It's wonderful for dinner on a chilly autumn night. I love to serve it with these "un-croque monsieur" bites for an ultra-comforting but still slimming dinner.
For tomato soup:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 1 sprig sage or 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 sprig thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt, plus extra for serving
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped basil (optional)
For mini grilled cheese bites:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon light mayonnaise
- 4 slices whole-wheat or whole-grain bread
- 6 ultra-thin slices Asiago, Gruyere, or cheddar cheese
- 6 slices lean deli chicken, ham, or turkey (optional)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- To make soup, heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, sage, and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook while stirring constantly until tomato paste darkens, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add canned tomatoes and their juices and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and reduced, about 7 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and discard.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor and pulse to combine. Add chicken broth, almond milk, and yogurt, and process until completely smooth.
- Pour soup back into a clean pot and cook over medium heat until warm, about 5 minutes. Stir in sea salt. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and some chopped fresh basil, if using.
- To make grilled cheese bites, mix mustard and mayonnaise together in a small bowl and spread on 2 bread slices. Top with 2 slices cheese and 3 slices deli meat (if using), then cover with a final cheese slice. Place remaining bread slices on top.
- Heat olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and grill until browned, about 2 minutes. Flip over and brown on other side, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer (check often as second side usually browns more quickly than the first). Transfer sandwiches to a cutting board and let cool for 2 minutes before removing crusts with a serrated knife. Slice each sandwich lengthwise into 4 even fingers. Serve with soup.
- Recipe adapted from Pretty Delicious by Candice Kumai, Rodale Books, 2011
- Nutrition facts based on one serving of soup and two grilled cheese bites.
Per serving: 264 kcal cal., 12 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 882 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 12 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet