Curried Pumpkin Soup
Exotic spices give this hearty seasonal favorite its rich flavor.
- 3/4 cup Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 cups reduced-sodium, nonfat chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin
- 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 whole-grain rolls
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add seasonings; stir to coat. Add broth, pumpkin, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Partially cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat and stir in fresh cilantro. Serve with whole-grain rolls.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include whole-grain rolls.
Per serving: 184 kcal cal., 9 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 32 g carb., 7 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 8 g pro., 60 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet