Double-Berry Almond Breakfast Cookies
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast in oven until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat together canola oil, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla extract; add flour mixture and stir to combine. Roughly chop toasted almonds and add to the batter, along with oats, blueberries, cranberries, dried cranberries, and lemon zest, and fold until fruit and nuts are evenly distributed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an ice-cream scoop or a 1/2-cup dry measuring cup, scoop batter into 8 large balls and drop them onto parchment-lined sheet. Bake until cookies are set and lightly browned on the bottom, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Recipe by Ellie Krieger, author of You Have it Made (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; © Ellie Krieger)
Per serving: 368 kcal cal., 20 g fat (1.7 g sat. fat), 146 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 8 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet