Turn the dip into a meal by serving this Mediterranean dish over rice or with flatbread.
- 4 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Turkish- or Mediterranean-style tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chopped shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped olives
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup low-sodium beef stock
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup minced dill
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- Cooked rice, to serve (optional)
- Peel eggplant lengthwise, leaving skin on every other quarter around, giving it a striped appearance. Chop into one-inch cubes.
- In a deep pot over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon oil and onion, and cook 1 minute. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add tomato and saute 2 minutes. Add water, tomato paste, and cumin, stirring. Add eggplant, mushroom, olives, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, wine, beef stock, chicken stock, dill, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and allow to simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Serve over rice for a meal.
- Recipe provided by MommyHiker.com
Per serving: 193 kcal cal., 11 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 21 g carb., 8 g fiber, 4.5 g pro., 59 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet