Farro, Baby Beet, and Pea Shoot Salad
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 1 bunch beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 - 3 pea shoots (You can substitute arugula.)
- Place red onion, olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small lidded container. Shake well to combine.
- Place water, bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and farro in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain farro if necessary, discard bay leaf, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add a few inches of water to a saucepan. Place beets in a steamer basket over water, cover, and heat over medium-high heat until water comes to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and steam beets until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Set beets aside to cool; place peas in steamer basket and steam until just tender, about 3 minutes. (Add more water to pan if necessary.)
- While beets cook, toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon dressing, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste to farro, and mix gently. Add beets, radishes, peas, pea shoots, and remaining dressing to farro and toss to combine. Sprinkle walnuts on top and serve.
- Recipe adapted with permission from Whole Protein Vegetarian by Rebecca Miller Ffrench (The Countryman Press, 2016).
Per serving: 250 kcal cal., 12 g fat (1.4 g sat. fat), 32 g carb., 6 g fiber, 7 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet