Farro Herb Salad with Chicken
This salad is bursting with fresh herbs including basil, parsley, and mint. And good thing: Basil contains several phytochemical antioxidants like rosmarinic and caffeic acid, as well as the plant chemicals orientin and vicerin, which help protect your cells from damage.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup basil, packed
- 1/2 cup mint, packed
- 1/2 cup parsley, packed
- 1 nectarine
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups farro, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Season chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper. When pan is hot, add chicken breasts. After 2 minutes, flip chicken breasts and cook on the other side for 3 minutes. Place pan in the oven and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, slice all herbs into thin ribbons and place in a large bowl. Chop nectarine, cherries and avocado into small cubes and add to the herbs along with chickpeas and feta.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dijon, lemon juice and lemon zest until smooth. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a slow stream, whisking quickly and consistently to combine.
- Gently fold the quinoa, farro and dressing into the herb mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the chicken breasts thinly.
- Evenly distribute the farro salad between 4 dishes and top with 1/2 chicken breast.
- Recipe provided by Caroline Chambers.
Per serving: 566 kcal cal., 23 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 59 g carb., 11 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 34 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet