Festive Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lightly salted butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- Decorations (dried currants, chopped pistachios, cinnamon candies, or colored sprinkles)
For the icing:
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a medium bowl, blend confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla. Divide into smaller bowls and tint with food coloring, if desired.
- Spread icing onto cookies, or put into a heavy-duty plastic bag with a tiny hole snipped in one corner to pipe onto cookies.
- Nutritional information does not include Decorations.
Per serving: 704 kcal cal., 14 g fat (8 g sat. fat), 261 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 77 g sugar, 10 g pro., 165 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet