Fig and Mushroom Barbecue Pizza
The sweetness of figs balances the umami flavor of the mushrooms, and, for a boost of whole grains, the recipe calls for whole wheat pizza dough, which can be found in the refrigerator or freezer section of the market. (You can also head to your local pizzeria and ask to purchase freshly made whole wheat pizza dough.)
- 1 whole wheat pizza dough (I like Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 8 - 10 figs, sliced about -inch thick
- 8 - 10 button or baby bella mushrooms, sliced about -inch think
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F if using Trader Joe's pizza dough. Otherwise, set your oven to the temperature listed on your pizza dough/crust instructions. Spray a pizza stone or baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface according to package instructions and transfer to pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread barbecue sauce evenly over the dough, top with slices of mozzarella cheese, then the fig and mushroom slices.
- Bake pizza for 20-25 minutes (or as per the package directions), until crust is deep brown (for whole wheat) or golden brown (for regular crust) and puffy.
- Remove from the oven, let cool about 5 minutes and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Recipe provided by Danielle Cushing, R.D., of My Bottomless Boyfriend.
Per serving: 205 kcal cal., 5 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 37 g carb., 6 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 10 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet