"Fish" Taco Bowl
For the cabbage slaw
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise (soy-free, if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
For the pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
For the "fish"
- 2 cans hearts of palm, drained
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dulse seaweed flakes
- Pinch of salt
- 4 small corn tortillas cut into strips
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh jalapeno
- 8 lime wedges
- To make cabbage slaw, place all of the ingredients in a bowl, stir together until combined, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- To make the pico de gallo, place all of the ingredients in a bowl, stir together until combined, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- To make the "fish," preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat a baking sheet with a thin layer of oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, using two forks or your hands, pull apart the hearts of palm until they appear shredded. Stir in the lime juice, dulse flakes, and salt until combined and then spread the mixture out on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- While the "fish" is baking, place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet, brush with a thin layer of oil, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until crispy. 7. Divide the slaw, pico de gallo, fish, and tortillas among 4 shallow bowls, arranging the components in quadrants. Nestle the cilantro, jalapeno, and lime wedges in with the tortilla strips. Serve immediately.
- Credit: Vegan Bowl Attack by Jackie Sobon