Fluffy Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes
A ricotta cheese-and-citrus twist on a favorite American breakfast. Great plain but also super topped with mixed berries and a drizzle of lemon juice.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar, granulated
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, or increase to taste
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Cooking spray
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together buttermilk, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest, and ricotta cheese by hand.
- In a clean bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture until just combined; gently fold in egg whites until they are just incorporated.
- Coat a large nonstick griddle or pan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Spoon batter into pan in batches using a 1/4-cup batter for each pancake; cook until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove pancakes to a tray in a warm oven and repeat with remaining ingredients (being careful not to spray cooking spray into open flame).
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 201 kcal cal., 4 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 32 g carb., 6 g sugar, 9 g pro., 2 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet