Fruited Yogurt Oat Mini Muffins
This delicious muffin recipe uses a 1:1 ratio of whole wheat flour to all-purpose flour. Plus, it calls for oat bran, which adds even more fiber. To cut calories and fat, some butter is replaced with non-fat plain Greek yogurt. You can't ask for a healthier and more delicious breakfast treat!
- 1/4 cup dried dates, coarsely chopped Segments from 1/2 large grapefruit
- 1/3 cup (2 2/3 ounces) freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour, if you have it)
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (1 carton) plain Greek yogurt (non-fat is fine)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F with a rack in the center. Lightly oil 12 of the cups in your mini muffin tin and set aside. (If you choose to use paper wrappers, I recommend spritzing them lightly with cooking/baking spray - clingy little things!)
- Combine the grapefruit segments and juice, dates, butter, and honey in a small saucepan, and place over high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until dates are soft. Remove from heat; cool.
- In the meantime, combine flour, bran, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Make a well in the center. Set aside. Whisk together the brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (through egg white) in a small bowl. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Gently fold in date-grapefruit mixture.
- With a couple spoons or small ice cream scoop, divide batter evenly among the 12 greased mini muffin cups. For an optional garnish, place a few sunflower seeds on top of each muffin. Bake on the center rack of your oven for 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the tin to a wire rack after they've cooled several minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store completely cooled muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or tightly-wrapped in the freezer up to 1 month. To enjoy later: thaw overnight in the refrigerator, or microwave for 10 to 20 seconds until warmed through.
- Recipe by Heather Goesch, R.D.N., of Heather Goesch Nutrition
Per serving: 153 kcal cal., 6 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 221 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 6 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet