Green Tea Coconut Rice
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons loose jasmine green tea
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 small golden beets, peeled and cut into eighths
- 3 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 3/4 pound asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup peas
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pour the coconut milk into a large measuring cup and add enough water to equal 2 cups of liquid. Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, add tea, and steep for 7 minutes. Strain, pressing the tea leaves against the strainer, then return brewed mixture to the saucepan.
- Add the rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. (Add more water after 15 minutes if necessary.)
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the shallot for 2 minutes or until softened. Add beets and saute for 3 minutes more. Add 1/4 cup water and continue to cook for another 2 minutes or so, stirring continually. Add cabbage, asparagus, and another 1/4 cup water and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add peas and stir until the vegetables are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and season with pepper.
- Add cooked rice to the skillet and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 417 kcal cal., 19 g fat (16.3 g sat. fat), 54 g carb., 6 g fiber, 8 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet