Green Tomato Egg Cups With Grilled Salsa
- 4 firm green tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small avocado, quartered and peeled
- 3 scallions, trimmed
- 1 small ear corn, husked
- 4 large eggs
- 1 small red or orange bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime
- Preheat a grill to high. Trim tops off green tomatoes and use a melon baller or a spoon to scoop out insides, leaving tomatoes with 1/2- to 1-inch-thick bottoms and sides. Sprinkle insides and outsides with salt, place upside down on a plate, and let drain for 10 minutes. Pat insides and outsides of tomatoes dry with a paper towel and rub oil on outsides.
- Place tomatoes upside down on grill and cook for 6 minutes. Add avocado, scallions, and corn, and after 2 more minutes, turn tomatoes right side up and also turn vegetables.
- Crack 1 egg into a small bowl, then carefully slide egg into a tomato. Repeat with remaining eggs and tomatoes. Cover grill and cook for 2 minutes. Remove avocado and scallions, replace cover, and grill for 4 minutes more. Remove corn, replace cover, and grill for 4 minutes more or until egg whites are opaque but still jiggle (this will give you medium-cooked yolks).
- While eggs cook, cut avocado into 1/2-inch pieces, chop scallions, and slice corn kernels from the cob. Place in a medium bowl, along with bell pepper and cilantro. Zest the lime directly over the salsa mixture, then squeeze 1 tablespoon juice into bowl. Toss gently, season with salt, and toss again.
- Use a spatula to carefully transfer egg cups from grill to serving plates. Serve immediately with the salsa.
Per serving: 175 kcal cal., 10 g fat (2.3 g sat. fat), 15 g carb., 4 g fiber, 9 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet