Grilled Artichokes with Rémoulade
Simple grilled artichokes get a seemingly fancy (but super easy to make) upgrade with a homemade remoulade.
- 4 artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fill large pot 1/4 of the way with water and bring to a boil. Trim stems 2 inches from base of the artichokes and cut in half. Cut off and discard top, pointy 1/2-inch of each half and use strong metal spoon to scrape away fuzzy chokes and small inner leaves. To prevent cut portions from browning, immediately rub with lemon piece.
- Squeeze juice from lemon into the pot. Add halves and artichokes to the pot. Aater should reach about halfway up the artichokes, not submerge them. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make remoulade. Place mayonnaise, dijon, garlic, anchovy paste, fresh lemon juice, capers, cayenne, vinegar, and parsley in a bowl and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Drain water from the pot and place artichokes on cutting board. Drizzle flat sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill artichokes cut side down for 10 minutes. Serve with remoulade on the side.
- Recipe provided by Danielle Walker, author of Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great and AgainstAllGrain.com.
- Photo credit: Danielle Walker