Grilled French Toast With Gingered Plum Compote
- 3 ripe plums, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large ripe yellow heirloom tomato, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger, plus slivers for garnish
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1-inch-thick slices whole-grain sourdough bread, halved
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat a grill to medium. Place plums and tomato on a large piece of foil; scatter with chopped candied ginger and drizzle with 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Fold the foil to make a packet and crimp to seal.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together egg, milk, vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon maple syrup. Dip both sides of each bread half in the mixture and place on grill, along with the foil packet. Grill bread for 2 minutes per side or until grill marks appear. Grill packet for 4 to 5 minutes or until fruit is warm and slightly softened.
- Transfer grilled bread to four plates. Carefully open the packet and spoon plums, tomato, and juices over French toast. Garnish with slivered candied ginger. Serve each with a dollop of yogurt and, if desired, more maple syrup.
Per serving: 305 kcal cal., 2 g fat (0.9 g sat. fat), 59 g carb., 7 g fiber, 10 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet