Grilled Maitake Mushrooms with Smoked Sea Salt and Green Onions
Give mushrooms a deep, smoky flavor from the grill and from smoked sea salt with this easy recipe.
- 1 pound Maitake mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- Heat grill to high heat and carefully oil the grate. Keeping mushrooms intact and in large pieces, carefully drizzle 1/4 cup of oil and season with kosher salt and pepper. Place on hottest area of the grill, stem side up. Cook until well charred, about 3 to 4 minutes; flip and grill on other side. (Stem does not have to be fully cooked at this point.).
- Transfer mushrooms, and any small pieces that might have fallen off, into a metal pan, such as a small cast-iron skillet or cazuela that can handle high heat. Place pan directly onto coals or on top of hottest area on the grill. Add water, cover pan loosely with foil or lid, and let steam until stems are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove lid and cook until liquid is mostly reduced, about 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat.
- To serve, transfer mushrooms to plates and drizzle with juices from the pan. Immediately garnish with smoked sea salt, green onions, and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Recipe excerpted with permission from Around the Fire: Recipes for Inspired Grilling and Seasonal Feasting from OX Restaurant by Greg Denton and Gabrielle Quinonez Denton with Stacy Adimando (Ten Speed Press, 2016)
- Photo credit: Evan Sung