Grilled Radicchio with Goat Cheese and Herbed Tomato Dressing
This dish hits every flavor note -- from sour to salty to bitter to sweet -- and pairs amazingly well with crusty bread or grilled chicken.
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 lemon, cut in half, plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 large heads of radicchio, quartered through the core
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped marjoram or oregano
- 4 ounces crumbled fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
- Make dressing: In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes just start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add lemon quarters, tarragon, parsley, vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are very soft and the dressing is saucy, about 15 minutes. Discard lemon quarters. Season with salt and pepper and let cool slightly.
- Prepare salad: In a large ceramic baking dish, whisk 1/4 cup lemon juice with 1/4 cup olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add quartered radicchio and turn to coat; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill pan and broiler. Season radicchio with salt and pepper and grill over high heat, turning, until lightly charred and just starting to wilt, about 3 minutes. Return radicchio to the baking dish and sprinkle marjoram and goat cheese on top. Broil 8 inches from heat until goat cheese is just softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer radicchio to a platter. Spoon some of the dressing on top and serve, passing rest of dressing at the table.
- Recipe provided by Chef Andrew Zimmern
- Photo credit: Stephanie Meyer