Haylie Duff's Sweet Scarlett Grapefruit BBQ Chicken Skewers
Red grapefruits are extra sweet, making them perfect for a punchy barbecue sauce.
- 3 red grapefruits, 1 zested and juiced and 2 peeled and cut into small sections
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions or chives
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 handful cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- Preheat grill or grill pan. In a small bowl, stir together grapefruit juice, a pinch of zest, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, and scallions. Set aside.
- Dice chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Slide chicken and grapefruit pieces onto wooden or metal skewers. Grill until chicken is cooked through.
- Brush grapefruit-bbq sauce across each skewer and garnish with cilantro.
- Adapted with permission from Haylie Duff and Wonderful Sweet Scarletts
- Photo credit: Wonderful Sweet Scarletts