Healthy 3-Bean and Quinoa Chili
Make this hearty and nutritious chili for a group or as a weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 - 4 cups vegetable stock
- 6 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt (optional)
- 6 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced on a diagonal, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and pepper, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, bay leaf, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice, stir, and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let cook, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes until thick.
- Add beans, quinoa, and stock, and cook for 20 minutes. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed. Serve topped with 1 dollop yogurt and scallions.
- Recipe courtesy of Candice Kumai.
Per serving: 437 kcal cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 1320 mg sodium, 21 g pro., 238 mg calcium. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet