Healthy Breakfast: Orange Poppy Seed Muffin Recipe
Orange poppy seed recipe creates tasty muffins that are the perfect grab and go item for your healthy breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (from one medium orange)
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- For the Glaze (optional):1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- For the Glaze (optional):1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-inch muffin baking tin with paper cupcake liners (or spray lightly with cooking spray). In a large mixing bowl, sift together both flours, baking powder, and poppy seeds. In another mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, oil, orange zest, and orange-juice concentrate. Using a rubber spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry, just enough to combine. The batter will be very thick. Divide the batter among the muffin cups with a tablespoon, filling each about two-thirds.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out dry. Cool on a wire rack. If using glaze, blend confectioners' sugar with the orange-juice concentrate. Drizzle over muffins and serve.
Per serving: 184 kcal cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 27 g carb., 2 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 5 g pro., 120 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet