Healthy Dessert: Apple Strudel With Walnuts
Looking for apple strudel recipes that taste delicious and fit into your weight loss plan? Look no further. Shape offers healthy dessert recipes that fit into a balanced healthy diet, plus key nutrition facts.
- 3 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup apricot spread (100 percent fruit)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 sheets of phyllo dough (13 x 17 inches), thawed
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium nonstick skillet, combine apples, apple juice, apricot spread, lemon juice, and currants. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and apples are tender. Remove from heat.
- Combine the walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon in a small food processor and pulse until finely ground. Lay the phyllo sheets on a flat tray and cover with a piece of plastic wrap to keep them from drying out. Remove one sheet of dough at a time, keeping the rest covered, and place on a work surface with the short end facing you. Spritz the sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the walnut mixture. Repeat the layering with the next three sheets of phyllo. Spread the apple filling over the pastry, leaving a 2-inch border at the top and bottom and a 1-inch border on the sides. Fold the bottom border over the filling, and roll up the pastry like a jelly roll. Place the strudel on a baking sheet with the seam down. Spray with cooking spray and top with the remaining walnut mixture. Put strudel in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 15 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing, or cool completely and serve later. Dust lightly with powdered sugar at serving time - and you'll have a healthy dessert that tastes wonderful!
- Nutritional information does not include Powdered sugar for dusting.
Per serving: 216 kcal cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 38 g carb., 3 g fiber, 24 g sugar, 3 g pro., 26 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet