Healthy Sausage Pizza with Sweet Peppers
A whole-wheat crust, chicken sausage and a ton of veggies make this sausage pizza surprisingly healthy.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces sweet Italian-flavored chicken sausage, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 12 ounces store-bought whole-wheat pizza dough
- Cornmeal for pan
- 1/4 cup jarred pizza sauce
- 3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella (about 3/4 cup), divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F with rack in the lowest position.
- Pour 1 teaspoon oil into a large nonstick pan and heat over medium-high. Add sausage and saute for 3 minutes or until just brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add fennel and red pepper; saute for 1 more minute. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining teaspoon oil to pan with the bell pepper and onion. Saute for 10 to 12 minutes or until softened and lightly charred.
- While sweet peppers and onions are cooking, roll out whole-wheat pizza dough to a 12-inch circle
- Dust a baking sheet with cornmeal and arrange crust on top. Poke lightly with a fork. Bake for 6 minutes or until slightly puffed then remove from oven and prick any bubbles.
- Spread with sauce, leaving a 1/2-inch border; top with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Arrange sweet peppers and onions over top, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and top with sausage.
- Bake for 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted and pizza crust is golden and crisp. Let cool slightly before slicing into 8 pieces, then serve.
Per serving: 356 kcal cal., 13 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 629 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 17 g pro., 190 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet