Hearts of Baltimore Crab Cakes
With these appetizers, its hearts of palms steals the show. Not only are these "hearts" appropriate for this time of the year, but their aphrodisiac effects make them excellent mood-enhancers.
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or safflower oil, divided, plus more for frying
- 1 14 ounce can hearts of palm, (not packed in sugar), roughly chopped to the consistency of crab meat
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs, or more
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Garlicky Dill Aioli
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste. Set in the fridge to keep cool.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add hearts of palm and saute for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to cool. Add the celery and peppers and mix well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-heat heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, add to the hearts of palm, and mix well. Add seasoning, cornstarch, and mayo.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then shape the mixture into four round patties.
- In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasoning, stirring to mix. Coat patties with breadcrumb mixture and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium- high heat until hot and shimmering. Carefully place patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, approximately 2 minutes per side. Watch closely to prevent burning. Transfer cooked patties to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil. Serve hot, topped with aioli, with lemon wedges on the side.
- Recipe from The Lusty Vegan, a Cookbook and Relationship Manifesto for Vegans and the People Who Love Them
Per serving: 411 kcal cal., 40 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 21 g carb., 6 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 6 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet