Hearty Mediterranean Salad with Balsamic Chicken
A Mediterranean diet can benefit your health!
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 18 chunks
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 18 rounds
- 1 large yellow pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 18 wedges
- 1 small sweet onion, trimmed and cut into 18 chunks
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of a 14-ounce round whole-wheat bread loaf, cut into four slices
- 10 cups baby arugula leaves, rinsed and spun dry
- 2 cups torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (rinsed and drained if canned)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using six skewers, thread a chunk of chicken onto one skewer, followed by a cherry tomato, a zucchini round, a pepper wedge, and an onion chunk.
- Repeat process two more times, so skewer holds three chicken chunks, three cherry tomatoes, three zucchini rounds, three pepper wedges, and three onion chunks.
- Thread remaining five skewers in the same manner.
- Lightly brush all skewers with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette; save the rest for topping salads. Oil grill grates and preheat grill to medium.
- Place skewers on grill and cook, turning several times, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through and vegetables are tender. Transfer skewers to a platter.
- Place bread on grill and brown on both sides, about 1 minute total. Serve as grilled slices, or cut bread into cubes for croutons.
- Arrange equal portions of arugula, basil, and chickpeas on four large plates. Top each salad with a bread slice (or sprinkle with croutons) and the contents of one and a half skewers, then drizzle with a portion of the reserved vinaigrette.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 498 kcal cal., 19 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 52 g carb., 10 g fiber, 13 g sugar, 32 g pro., 220 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet