High-Fiber Sweet Potato and Shrimp Chowder
Buy shrimp in the shell and peel and devein it yourself, it will have more flavor.
- 3/4 pound large shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped scallions, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups diced sweet potato
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, plus thyme sprigs
- Peel and devein shrimp, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup scallions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 seconds. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 5 seconds. Add tomatoes, broth, and 1 1/2 cups cold water, then increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add potato, corn, green pepper, and black pepper, and return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Add shrimp and thyme leaves, raise heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are just cooked. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup scallions and thyme sprigs, if desired.
Per serving: 272 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 35 g carb., 5 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 23 g pro., 133 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet