Italian Beef Meatballs
Meatballs are a classic comfort food, but not always easy to handle if you have a sensitive stomach. Try these low-FODMAP, gluten-free meatballs over zucchini noodles if you're looking to keep your tummy trouble-free.
- 2 1/2 cups beef, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 550 milliliters Italian pasta sauce (ingredients should only include tomatoes and basil)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives (optional)
- Combine beef, spinach, egg, salt, pepper and parsley in a bowl.
- Blend mixture in a food processor until well combined.
- Roll mixture into heaped tablespoon sized balls (smaller than a ping pong ball, larger than a cherry tomato).
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Fry meatballs on medium-high heat, turning until browned.
- Cover meatballs with tomato sauce and water (I use water to get absolutely all the sauce out of the bottle).
- Add olives to sauce (if using).
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for at least 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve with your favorite gluten free pasta, rice or zucchini noodles.
- This recipe was provided by Ruby Arter for Further Food.
Per serving: 375 kcal cal., 22 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 11 g carb., 2 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 30 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet