Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta
Spicy sausage, red wine, and fire-roasted tomatoes come together in this ragout-like sauce. Truly hearty and satisfying.
- 1/2 pound uncooked turkey sausage, Italian-style castings removed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow peppers, cut into 2-inch long thin strips
- 1 medium uncooked onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted recommended
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 1/3 cup fresh, chopped basil
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up meat with back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly colored and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt, and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 262 kcal cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 39 g carb., 6 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 15 g pro., 11 mg calcium, 0 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet