Jack-O-Pumpkin Breakfast Sandwich
Whip up an easy pumpkin butter for a sweet, cheesy, portable morning meal.
For pumpkin butter:
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 dash pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 vegan sausage patty
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 thick slice vegan Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped arugula
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- To make pumpkin butter, whisk all ingredients in a microwavable bowl until combined, adding salt to taste. Microwave 30 seconds, stir well, and set aside.
- Brush sausage patty and mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper. Cook on a panini press or in a medium pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until brown.
- Remove from heat and place cheese and mushrooms on patty. Place in a pan over medium-high heat, cover, and cook 2 minutes until cheese is melted. (If using a panini press, press for 2 minutes until cheese is melted.)
- Slather each side of muffin with 2 tablespoons warmed pumpkin butter and reserve the rest for another use. Add patty, arugula, and hot sauce, and serve warm.
- Recipe provided by Kathy Patalsky of KBlog.LunchBoxBunch.com
Per serving: 320 kcal cal., 13 g fat) (633 mg sodium, 8 g fiber, 18 g pro., 88 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet