Kale, Swiss Chard, and Butternut Squash Salad
With raw butternut squash ribbons, crisp kale, delicate Swiss chard, and an orange vinaigrette, this recipe is simple yet exotic at the same time.
For orange vinaigrette:
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup pulp-free orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium bunches (4 cups) kale, chopped
- 1 medium bunch Swiss or rainbow chard
- 1/2 medium butternut squash
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 ounces fresh chevre (goat cheese), crumbled
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients for vinaigrette to combine.
- Clean and thoroughly dry kale and chard. With a sharp knife, remove woody stems from kale. Chop both greens into bite-size pieces.
- Remove and discard seeds from butternut squash. Use a vegetable peeler to slice thin ribbons from inside squash.
- In a large bowl, combine greens, squash ribbons, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. Toss with half the vinaigrette. Transfer salad to 6 plates. Top with crumbled chevre and serve additional vinaigrette on the side.
- Recipe adapted from Cook Yourself Sexy by Candice Kumai, Rodale Books, 2012
Per serving: 352 kcal cal., 21 g fat) (36 g carb., 5 g fiber, 10 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet