- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 red chili pepper, any variety or 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Grated peel and juice of 1 large orange
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Cook onion, garlic, and fennel, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until mixture is soft.
- Add water, salt, pepper, lemon peel, orange peel, and orange juice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in dill and enjoy hot.
- Recipe excerpted from Soup Cleanse Cookbook provided by Nicole Centeno, founder of Splendid Spoon