Mac 'n Cheese with Green Peas
Tossing peas into this creamy favorite, made here with Dijon mustard, adds an excellent source of folate to your diet.
- 1 8 ounce box uncooked whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 8 ounce container fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon light margarine
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Let macaroni cool for a minute or two, then stir in sour cream; set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Transfer 1/2 tablespoon of the margarine to a small bowl. Add bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Mix with a fork until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
- Add Cheddar and mustard to remaining 2 tablespoons of melted margarine. Set pan over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes, until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Add sour-cream-macaroni mixture and peas. Cook for 1 minute to heat through, stirring constantly to coat macaroni with melted cheese.
- Transfer mixture to individual plates and top with bread-crumb mixture.
- Serve with a salad of mixed baby greens, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.
Per serving: 329 kcal cal., 5 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 337 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 19 g pro., 218 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet