Marinated Beef Kebabs with Veggies
This satisfying, meaty meal is packed with protein.
- 3 pounds sirloin tri-tip beef fillets or skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 medium-large onion
- 2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely-chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch squares
- 12 medium button mushrooms
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1-inch squares
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Trim any visible fat from beef and cut into 48 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes.
- Peel onion, cut in half, and grate on the large holes of box grater, until there is a heaping 1/4 cup of grated onion and onion juice.
- Pour yogurt into a large bowl and add onion and its juice. Stir in cilantro, cumin, and black pepper. Add beef and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate. Marinate for 6 hours, turning once or twice. (If using chicken, marinate for 4 hours. Do not exceed the recommended marinating time because the acid in yogurt will "cook" the protein in the meat and make it tough.)
- Heat outdoor grill or preheat broiler. Skewer meat onto 12-inch metal or bamboo skewers. (If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 15 minutes so they are thoroughly saturated.) Alternate meat with vegetables until skewer is nearly full.
- Grill or broil for 3 minutes on each side. (If using chicken, cook for 2 minutes on each side.) Sprinkle lightly with salt. Serve with lemon wedges and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Per serving: 333 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 14 g carb., 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 53 g pro., 123 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet