Matcha Pistachio Chocolate Brownie
FOR THE BROWNIE:
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups plus 3 oz chocolate (i.e. salted pistachio dark), chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 2 teaspoons matcha
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup shelled unroasted pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon matcha
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (1/4 cup)
- To make brownie: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 8-inch square nonstick cake pan.
- Melt 10 oz chocolate with butter in medium bowl over saucepan of simmering water, making sure bowl doesn't touch the water. When melted, remove from heat and stir in sugar.
- Using electric mixer, beat in eggs and yolk 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Continue to beat until smooth and glossy.
- Stir matcha with water until smooth. Add matcha paste to chocolate mixture.
- Fold in ground almonds. Sift flour and baking powder over top and gently fold into mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining 3 oz chopped chocolate.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until outside of cake has risen and is slightly cracked and a skewer inserted in center comes out with just a few gooey crumbs. You might have to bake the brownies for up to 50 minutes depending on your oven, but be careful not to overbake or they might be a bit dry. A softer texture will add to the fudgy quality when brownies are cooled.
- Run knife around the edge of pan to prevent top from cracking while cooling. Let cool completely in pan on counter. When cool, cover and let stand overnight. If you have time for brownies to cool properly, the chocolate taste will mature and they will have a more chewy texture, but if you can't wait, they can be served when slightly cooled.
- To make topping: Combine pistachios, sugar and matcha in the bowl of a food processor and mix until crumbly. Or use a mortar and pestle.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle over cooled brownie. Sprinkle pistachio matcha crumble and slice into squares.
- © Matcha - The Cookbook by Gretha Scholtz, published by teNeues