Matcha Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup superfine (castor) sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon matcha
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in each of two 12-cup muffin pans (total of 24). If you have only 1 pan, bake cupcakes in 2 batches.
- Combine flour, sugar, butter, eggs, matcha, baking powder and vanilla paste in medium bowl. Beat using an electric mixer until pale and smooth, about 2 minutes (don't overbeat or the cupcakes might be dry).
- Spoon about 1 tbsp of batter into each liner. You don't want to add too much or cupcakes will rise above their liners and not look as attractive when iced; ideally, you want the tops to be flat.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To decorate: Spoon matcha buttercream icing into piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe as desired on top of the cupcakes. I like making a rose shape.
- Decorate icing with edible gold glitter and sprinkles (if using) and serve cupcakes on a pretty cake plate.
- © Matcha - The Cookbook by Gretha Scholtz, published by teNeues