Mediterranean Salad with Grilled Chicken Skewers
Full of flavor and packed with lean protein and veggies, this salad is a no-brainer for a quick healthy dinner or lunch. If you're looking for a deeper green vegetable to increase nutrients, substitute lettuce with spinach for an extra punch of vitamins A and K, iron, and folate.
- 3 chicken breasts cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- Shitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lavender balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup diced cucumbers
- 3/4 cup sliced tomato
- 1/3 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 6 tablespoons sliced roasted red pepper
- 3 tablespoons sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 4 teaspoons pesto
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the salad:
- Build salad for each plate by laying down bed of fresh romaine and spinach leaves. Top that with diced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, and feta cheese.
For the dressing:
- Shake together pesto, white wine vinegar, and lemon juice in a small jar. Add in yogurt and oil and shake once more till all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
For the chicken:
- Prepare marinade for chicken by mixing together lemon juice, lavender balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, garlic, parsley, onion powder, kosher salt, and red pepper. Pour over chunks of chicken and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak wooden skewers in water before threading on chicken and mushrooms or use metal skewers.
- Build kebabs by threading on chicken and mushrooms. Grill over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently, until chicken is done.
- Drizzle vinaigrette on salad and top with a chicken kebab. Serve immediately.
- Recipe and photo provided by Marie Dittmer, founder of Healthy Ideas Place.
Per serving: 365 kcal cal., 22 g fat (9 g sat. fat), 11 g carb., 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 33 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet