Millet-Quinoa-Cashew Kugel with Apple-Balsamic Drizzle
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 2 1/2 cups water, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs (preferably omega-3 enriched, such as Gold Circle Farms or Eggland's Best), lightly beaten
- 3 scallions, minced (green and white portion)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cashews, lightly toasted
- 1 12 ounce can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F if you are using a glass baking dish). Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine quinoa and millet in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse several times under running water. Shake strainer to remove excess water and transfer grains to a large saucepan. Add water and set pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, until grains are tender, adding more water as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Transfer cooked quinoa and millet mixture to a large bowl, add salt and fluff with a fork. Add to the bowl beaten eggs, minced scallions and toasted, chopped cashews; then mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and level the top with the back of a spoon. Bake 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden and slightly crisp.
- Meanwhile, to make the Apple-Balsamic Drizzle, combine apple juice concentrate and vinegar in a shallow, wide saucepan. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes, until mixture is reduced by slightly more than half (making about 1 cup). Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- When ready to serve, cut kugel into 8 squares and spoon Apple-Balsamic Drizzle over top.
- Toast cashews by heating in a small skillet over medium heat until golden, shaking the pan frequently for about 3-5 minutes.
- The kugel and sauce can be served warm or at room temperature. The apple-balsamic sauce will keep for over a week, in a covered container, without refrigeration. If it stiffens, microwave for 10-20 seconds before serving.
Per serving: 402 kcal cal., 11 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 63 g carb., 4 g fiber, 25 g sugar, 12 g pro., 53 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet