Navy Bean "Cheese" Cakes
This creative spin on cheesecake uses navy beans (yes, beans!) instead of gobs of cheese, which helps significantly cut calories and saturated fat. It's a fiber- and protein-filled dessert that'll be the talk of the party.
- 1 1/2 cups canned navy beans, rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 6 ounce containers vanilla yogurt (7 1/2 ounces total)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1/3 cup each raspberries and blueberries
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Whipped cream, if desired
For the "cheese" cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, combine beans, brown sugar, vanilla yogurt, cinnamon, salt and eggs, adding them one at a time.
- Pour into 4 oven safe bowls and bake for 30 minutes.
For the berry topping:
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine berries, sugar, and lime and let cook for about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Top the "cheese" cakes with whipped cream, the berry mixture, and extra berries, if desired.
- Recipe by Shashi Charles of Runnin Srilankan.
Per serving: 254 kcal cal., 4 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 254 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 29 g sugar, 11 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet