Open-Faced Garden Tuna Sandwich
The DASH Diet promotes whole grains, lean protein, and plenty of vegetables. This sandwich has it all! Choose low-sodium tuna packed in water to help cut back on salt and unnecessary calories. The sandwich is also piled high in arugula, tomatoes, and green onions, which ups the fiber and helps keep you satisfied.
- 1 5 ounce can low sodium tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Black pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 slices hearty multigrain bread
- 1/3 cup fresh arugula or other leafy greens
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced fat whipped cream cheese
- Place the tuna in a medium bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, add the oil, lemon juice, parsley, pepper, and green onion and whisk to combine.
- Pour 2/3 of the oil mixture into the tuna and mix well.
- Using a spoon or pastry brush, lightly coat both sides of the bread with some of the remaining oil mixture and grill the bread in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat until it's golden on both sides. Toss the remaining oil with the arugula.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese on each slice of the grilled bread. Add 1/2 of the tuna mixture to each slice, then 1/2 of the greens, and 1/2 of the cherry tomatoes.
- Recipe provided by Amber Ketchum, R.D., of Homemade Nutrition, LLC.
Per serving: 361 kcal cal., 22 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 18 g carb., 5 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 24 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet